There are lots of emotions swirling around with Liverpool fans right now following the news that Liverpool are no longer in contention for Jude Bellingham. While it’s fair to say that the overwhelming majority of the response has been hugely negative, there could be some silver lining to the story.
Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has released a new YouTube video in which he talks about the shock news surrounding Bellingham and Liverpool’s pursuit of the player. While confirming that Bellingham had been a priority target for Liverpool, along with the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester City, Romano does state that it seems as if Liverpool are no longer in for the player due to the high fees likely involved with signing the Dortmund man. But he does allude to some other reasons why.
Speaking on the video Romano says, “Liverpool decide not to continue with these conditions. Why? Because Liverpool will refresh the squad in many positions.
“It’s about the midfielders. Could be about the centre-back, full-back and something in other positions. So expect a busy summer for Liverpool with many signings. This is why spending that kind of part of the budget, the main part of the budget, on one single player was going to create a problem to the club strategy.”
After speaking about what could be next for Bellingham and his future, Romano returned to bring some positive news to Reds fans.
He commented, “Liverpool guys – in this moment, I wanted to say something also positive to Liverpool fans because from what I [have been] told, Liverpool in any case we know that this is the situation with Bellingham now but Liverpool in any case will go at least for two midfields – but probably it could be three in the summer.
“They will have to replace Oxlade-Chamberlain. They have to replace Naby Keita. They want to go for important players in that position and so I’m still told that Mason Mount, Chelsea midfielder, is one of the priority targets in Liverpool.
“Matheus Nunes has always been appreciated, but at the moment I’m told that there is still nothing agreed and [he] is not a top priority for Liverpool. He’s one of the names they have in the list but not a top priority.
“I’m also told that Liverpool are keeping an eye on Brighton. They’re doing excellent. They have a top coach, a top board doing an incredible job and players like McAllister and Moises Caicedo are two players appreciated by Liverpool. So in their list there is also the possibility to speak to Brighton for one of their midfielders. So Liverpool will be busy with midfielders but probably also in other positions.”
Lots to unpack in that video but Romano seems super convinced that The Reds will sign multiple midfield players over the summer as well as strengthen in other key positions also. No matter what, it’s definitely going to be an interesting summer in Liverpool.
Liverpool see Jude Bellingham deal as ‘too expensive’ due to £130m fee, huge salary over 6 years and commission 🔴
Real Madrid & Manchester City, in the race — Man United situation depends on club sale.
Liverpool will 100% sign 2/3 midfielders.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) April 12, 2023